9th Annual Elk River Canoe and Kayak Float
July 15th 2023
Come out and enjoy the 9th Annual Elk River Summer Float on July 15th, 2023 at the Sutton Dam. This 5-mile float is the perfect trip for beginner kayakers or groups with varied skill levels. Activities start at 9:00 a.m. The float starts at 11 a.m. Come early to check-in, drop your gear, then drive to the Elk River Camp and RV. Check-in begins at 9:00 a.m. Day-of registration will be available, but event shirts will be first come, first served.
Once parked Elk River Camp and RV, board the shuttle back to the Sutton Dam to begin the float. Check-in’s and gear drops will start at 9:00 a.m. Register ONLINE here! For more details on the float continue reading below.
Directions from I-79 to the Sutton Dam
- Take Exit 62 Sutton, Gassaway exit
- Turn left toward Sutton
- Once in the Town of Sutton turn right onto 2nd Street
- Continue on 2nd Street crossing the green metal bridge
- After the bridge turn left onto Stonewall Street
- Drive until the Sutton Dam is visible always turning toward the lower dam areas
- This is where the float will start
- If you find yourself at the top of the dam, turn around and take the first right toward the bottom of the hill.
Parking is permissible at the Sutton Dam, in the lot nearest to the dam. The lot furthest from the dam will be reserved for unloading passengers and gear.
See layout above for further details on Sutton Dam area for the start of the float.
Parking will be provided at the take out point, Elk River Camp and RV.
Directions and address below:
Elk River Camp and RV
360 Little Buffalo Road
Gassaway, WV 26624
Directions to Elk River Camp and RV from Sutton Dam
- Travel South on Route 4 toward I-79, reversing the directions above
- Pass the on-ramps to I-79 and continue toward Gassaway
- Pass Kroger on your left and continue south on Route 4
- Cross the first bridge you come to on the left
- Turn right toward Elk River Camp and RV
- Park at Elk River Camp and RV and board shuttle
Shuttle buses will be waiting at Elk River Camp and RV starting at 9 AM.
If multiple buses are in a line, board the front bus. Once full, the bus will depart and the second bus will begin boarding passengers. If needed, busses will return to pick up more passengers until all participants have been transported back to the Sutton Dam.
IMPORTANT ADDRESSES TO REMEMBER
Elk River Camp and RV
360 Little Buffalo Rd.
Gassaway, WV 26601
Sutton, WV 26601
Embedded below is a google map which shows the Sutton Dam and Elk River Camp and RV, or to access it directly, CLICK HERE.
Float begins roughly at 11:00 a.m.
For more information, contact Elk River Paddle and Yak at 304-314-3880