- This event has passed.
Elk River Summer Float
July 10, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$15
Come out and enjoy the 7th Annual Elk River Summer Float on July 10th, 2021beginning at the Sutton Dam. This 5-mile float is the perfect trip for beginner kayakers or groups with varied skill levels. Registration, check-in and gear drop starts at 9:00 a.m. at the dam. The float officially starts at 11:00 a.m. Come early to check-in, drop your gear, then drive to the Elk River Camp and RV to park your car and board the waiting shuttles. The shuttles will bring you back to the Sutton Dam to start your float.
Day-of registration will be available, but event shirts will be first come, first served. Online/pre registration has ended.
This event is made possible by the sponsorship of First Energy/MonPower, Trans Canada Pipeline, and WV American Water!
Directions from WV I-79:
– Take Exit 62 – Sutton, Gassaway exit
– Turn left toward Sutton
– Once in the Town of Sutton turn right onto 2nd Street
– Continue on 2nd Street crossing the green metal bridge
– After the bridge turn left onto Stonewall Street
– Drive until the Sutton Dam is visible always turning toward the lower dam areas
– This is where the float will start
If you find yourself at the top of the dam, turn around and take the first right toward the bottom of the hill.
Parking is permissible at the Sutton Dam, in the lot nearest to the dam. The lot furthest from the dam will be reserved for unloading passengers and gear only.